There has been a considerable shift recently in consumers' mindsets on what they are buying and why they are buying it. This has added a gradual responsible adaptation towards purchasing and consuming goods. Today we all talk about sustainability, minimalism, and eco-friendliness. The awareness to go plastic-free has reached everyone. From just forming policies to seeing the actual change in consumer mindset will bring a massive difference to the environment.
Be it pollution due to plastics, global warming, or biodiversity depletion, it has been actively addressed through all the layers of society. Many governments have banned single-use plastics, as it is the major plastic waste that is dumped into the ocean. We can see people accepting the change and going for alternatives significantly.
Bamboo has been known as the best replacement for many unsustainable products made with plastics. Be it a carry bag, cutleries, toiletries, toys or home decor products, bamboo products can be the best alternative to plastics.
Though bamboo has many qualities and characteristics that make it the best sustainable product option, it also comes with a few disadvantages. This article will take you through the pros and cons of bamboo products.
Pros of bamboo products
- Bamboo products are largely eco-friendly and sustainable. When you have to scrap the product, either you can refurbish it or let it decompose. It is a 100% biodegradable material.
- The bamboo products' texture, colour and looks add style and natural elements to any space.
- As bamboo is strong and has natural antibacterial factors, the life of bamboo products is also long. The durability of bamboo also makes it the best alternative to plastics.
- If you use bamboo for flooring, building places, or have bamboo furniture, it is suitable for your health and maintaining and cleaning them is easy. You can use water, mild cleansers and disinfectant to clean them. They are water resistant. The wear and tear of bamboo are also very minimal.
- Bamboo fabrics are as good as cotton and silk fabric. They are naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic products grown without chemicals.
- Bamboo toiletries, personal use products and disposable cutleries like straws, spoons, etc., are much safer than plastics as they do not contain any harsh chemicals, colours or dyes.
Cons of bamboo products
- Bamboo products are eco-friendly and sustainable alternatives. No doubt about it. But this is true only if you choose to buy the bamboo product from the local market, which was manufactured using their country-grown bamboo. As the biggest exporter of bamboo and bamboo products, China creates an imbalance in its sustainability. Logistics and transportation plays a significant role here, indirectly leading to pollution and environmental issues. So go local and make sure your option is truly sustainable. If you are from India and looking for a bamboo product, check out Woody Grass's wide variety of bamboo products.
- As the demand for bamboo products rapidly increases, its costs also increase.
- Bamboo, as a flooring or construction material, tends to release volatile organic compounds, which might be allergic to a few individuals.
- Bamboo fibers are highly absorbent, and as they absorb sweat, there is a high chance of microbial growth. Washing then needs care and attention.
- As the demand for bamboo increases, bamboo cultivation has also increased. In some places, people are ploughing down the hardwood forests to cultivate bamboo, which potentially can disturb biodiversity and wildlife. Bamboo plantation is best suited in agri land that has lost fertility, as the plant itself revives the soil quality with most care needed only in the first year, as in the following years, bamboo begins to flourish naturally. Governments need to step in and regulate the appropriate use of land to avoid deforestation.
Take a balanced decision
Bamboo is the best alternative to plastics. But when purchasing a product, make sure you make an informed decision after knowing its pros and cons. Moreover, as environmentally conscious individuals, we promote and encourage customers to buy products only when necessary.
Woody Grass is a bamboo-centric platform that celebrates sustainability and green living with a wide range of products, including furniture, garden accessories, lamps and lighting, home decor products, organizers and toiletries. We postulate to build a future driven by alternative solutions and sustainable choices.